Thursday, January 28, 2016

Details, details

So I'm sure everybody wants to know: how did you even come up with the idea of El Salvador???

Well, for one thing, I didn't "come up with the idea". Actually, I had no clue where my life was heading after college. I pondered that for a very long time, to be honest. I couldn't decide if I should go back to Washington for a few months, then back to California for work or just go back to Washington and just come to visit my boyfriend during his breaks from school. I didn't know if I should try to seek for a position in my home church or another church in Washington. I had high hopes for Interview Days at my college, but my hopes were dashed when those hiring realized I was a Missions Major [they were all looking for Education Majors]. I was disappointed.

I had seen a slide about El Salvador internships during the Missions Conference that Lancaster Baptist was having. This was prior to Interview Days and I pondered the idea a bit, but I wasn't completely sure. I mean, going to a foreign country for 6 months? "Well, I *am* a Missions Major after all, but... well, I guess it wouldn't hurt to talk to them... right?"
So I did.

We talked. I got their email address. And that's where it all began.

I told my boyfriend about the possibility. He thought it would be awesome if I did get to go... After all, he's been to El Salvador a handful of times because of his family ties.

I was a little pensive, but hey, it'd be a great opportunity... So, I asked my parents to pray about it.

I told myself that if I didn't forget about it in a month, maybe I should consider the opportunity... That way, I would know for sure that it wasn't just some passing fancy...
I emailed the missionaries regardless just to get some information...

Then, I knew I had to tell my sister [I live with her and her family, after all!] so I found a calm time to tell her about it. She was so excited for me! I wasn't expecting quite so much excitement, but I guess that fueled my interest in this experience.

From then on, I just kept thinking about it. I even used El Salvador as the basis for a paper I wrote for Cultural Anthropology!

Ever since then, I've been praying, seeking some counsel, keeping in contact with the missionaries, and getting more excited every day!

As great as this opportunity is, I still have some very real prayer needs. 
First of all, I'd like to keep getting counsel from a few people, I just need to plan out times to talk to them! Pray for guidance and scheduling.
Also, a trip to El Salvador does not pay for itself, so finances is still a need. At this point, I'd rather not put out too much about finances, until I'm confident that this is where God wants me to go, but if you wish to help, I'd set aside any donations that you might consider giving. Even if I don't go, there are other needs that I know people have, including other graduating college Seniors at West Coast Baptist College.

Thank you so much for your support/encouragement during this critical time in my life! I am always thankful for the prayers of others.

God's blessings,

Steph

No comments:

Post a Comment